Dry Box Modifications

I don’t use a crate on the kayak, I use a dry box. I love the fact the whatever is stored inside will remain dry, even when capsized (tried & tested). For the past few months I’ve taken a paddle float and bilge pump afloat with me, these being clipped onto or jammed under straps in an attempt to secure them to the kayak. The most important point was they were to hand in the event of an emergency.

Whilst I’ve been rigging the Hobie Outback I looked over the dry box to see how I could improve the current setup. I decided to wrap two long lengths of strong bungee cord around the crate using the rod holders and pad eyes to route and retain the bungee cord into position. This permits easy stowage of the paddle float and cutting board, allowing them to be removed in seconds if required. However, they are securely stowed and will remain in position during a capsize and the associated recovery.

I also took the opportunity to fit two anchor retainers at the rear of the box, one to store a spare anchor (if required) and the other to house the manual bilge pump. The bungee cord picks up on the anchor to keep it secured in place, the bilge pump is an interference fit and requires no additional securing.

A length of YakAttack’s GT90 GearTrac was fitted to the dry box. This innovative rail system permits the quick fitment of the YakAttack range of accessories. I’ve also modified my own homemade camera mounts to enable them to utilise this rail system. It’s extremely sturdy and provides a very solid mounting point for accessories.

The front straps for the dry box are also used to secure the kayak trolley into position.

The photograph below shows the neat stowage for the paddle float and bilge pump.

The dedicated spare anchor stowage and removable cutting board is clearly visible below.

The photograph below shows a set of removable plywood dividers that permit the box to remain neatly organised at all times. It’s very handy to be able to place your hand directly on something in the dark if required, not quite so easy to achieve if your crate/box is disorganised!

It really is a highly effective box and will fit in the majority of kayak tankwells. Total cost for the box and rod holders is around £30, add some fittings and cord and you might nudge £40, still a bit of a bargain in my eyes!

14 comments:

Rob P said...

Very neat and tidy Rob - what's the anchor stowage made from ?

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

It's a plastic anchor stowage I purchased from the local chanders for £8.

Fish-A-Holic TV said...

Man I love this, what container did you use? Is it a pet food container?

JR.Arakistain said...

Buen Trabajo,me gusta mucho como te a quedado,comodo y bien organizado,enhorabuena.
Un Abrazo desde el Cantabrico.

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

It's a Vittles Vault pet food container.

Rob B said...

I can confirm that this Vittles Vault pet food container works brilliantly as a dry box. After I saw this on your blog last time with the Prowler Big Game I followed and did the same and now would not be without it. I also highlighted it on my own blog. This is a great idea, it’s easy to customize and really works. Thanks for the pointer last time.

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

I'm pleased that you found it useful!

Anonymous said...

What size vittles vault do you use?

Anonymous said...

What size vittles vault do you use?

Rob Appleby said...

Hi, I used a 40lb model

Anonymous said...

When you are using the Hobie live well where do you store the gear that would normally go in this dry box?

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Hi,
If I intend to use a live well it'd be emptied at the beginning of the trip with minimal gear being stored in the centre hatch.

As I've a large bag fitted to the centre hatch I can still carry a considerable amount of gear for a trip.

Bobby said...

Great Idea ! I have started my build , but can not find a source for the anchor storage that you have used. Would you have a link or maybe an address where I can purchase them ? Thanks for posting this perfect dry box !

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Hi Bobby
I found that anchor stowage at a local chandlers. A couple of different models were available at the time.

Regards
Rob