I’m buying a new kayak!

I’m currently using a 2015 Hobie Outback for my main fishing duties as well as a 2015 Hobie Adventure Island for both sailing and fishing. The AI is mine, though the Outback has been on loan from the Hobiecat Centre in Poole, Dorset. As much as this has been a great arrangement, I’ve decided to go back to private ownership for a few reasons, nothing sinister I hasten to add.
The choice was simple, another Outback (Red of course)!. I did briefly consider the other Hobie options, no other brands interested me as I’m now a pedal convert. The Outback is still the obvious choice of Hobie kayak for fishing duties due to its stability, roominess, rigging options and ease of sailing.

Are there any difference from my current 2015 model?. There’s only one thing really, though it’s a big thing!… the Mirage 180 drive. It’s offers full power in both directions, yup, I will be able to select reverse!!. For open sea fishing that may be somewhat limited in its use, though for freshwater in rivers and lakes it’s going to be extremely useful.


As for rigging, well it’s going to be more of the same, though I’m going to rig it up with YakAttack’s LeverLoc anchor trolley and their 2nd generation GearTrac. I’ll be swapping over my Lowrance Carbon 9 combo fish finder/GPS, outriggers (Hobie Sidekicks), etc. I’m not going to rush into rigging for a couple of weeks, this kayak will be with me now for many years so I want to get it right first time.

Rigging articles to follow shortly.

No comments: