Scotland Skate expedition – preparations

Well I'm all packed and ready for a long weekend of fishing on the west coast of Scotland. The destination is Lochalsh, Skye and the surrounding area where the primary target species is Common Skate. I was fortunate enough to hook into two such fish about 18 months ago, though it was summer and conditions were better. The forecast isn't ideal, cold, wet, potentially strong winds and snowmelt from the mountains, so it'll be a challenge for sure!.

I'm not fishing alone this time, I will be in the company of three Irish guys, one Welsh guy and a Dutch chap!, so it should make for a fun trip with hopefully a good spread of fish to show for it. The car is loaded up, I'm carrying gear for two so it's rather jam packed!

I'm taking my Hobie Outback as well as an additional Outback that I borrowed from the Hobie Centre at Poole, thank you Steve. I've loaded them to my car using Malone SeaWings, these are great bits of kit and carry wider kayaks extremely well (review to follow very soon).

It's a long trip at 620 miles each way, driving through the night tonight, grabbing a short sleep en-route, hopefully fishing tomorrow afternoon. Full reports to follow on my return, watch this space!

No comments: